Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

I have just moved to Ovld Prk Ks and ask a black cashier if she had kids and if she did where do they get there hair cut in JoCo? This lady (white) in line looked at me as if I had cussed her out. She even had the nerve to pull out of line. No racist pun intended...but if you can find me a white barber who can cut a skin fade with a slant part let me know.



Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

I lived in Overland Park, KS for five years. I am originally from Philadelphia, so you know it was super culture shock. Although I found Overland Park as nice place to live, there were really no black salons, businesses, etc. there. I usually went into KCMO to get my hair done or to patronize black businesses. The entire time I was there, I only had two racist incidents. One was in Petco on 95th Street and the other was at Dillards Department Store. After I complained, Dillards did nothing, but I never shopped there again. As for PETCO, I still don't shop there, but the company sent me a letter of apology, fired the Manager, and gave me $200.00 in gift cards that I promptly gave away to my friends. Keep your head up in Overland Park, it can get stressful, but you can do it!



Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

It wasn't wrong. The person behind you herself was probably racist. It's very understandable that you're in a new area and that you need to get your hair properly (by someone who knows how to, that is) cut. don't worry about it. the white woman was irrational.



Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

I don't know why she would be offended. I am white. One of my best friends liked my haircut, but she is black and asked me to ask my hairdresser if he could work on her. He said that, honestly, it would be hard for him to do a good job on her hair. I understand exactly where you're coming from. If that lady didn't, too bad for her.



Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

I think since the Don Imus fiasco, it opened the floodgates of hyper-sensitivity. No one knows what crosses the line anymore so now any mention of color is all of a sudden taboo. I don't know how 'nappy-headed ho' and 'where's a black barber' can get confusing on the insult scale but go figure.



Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

Hi Sister! Johnson County in Overland Park, is a stuffy not so nice place. They think they're better than the Missouri side and the upper well to do class, excluding "Blacks." I hate to say that, but it's true.



I hate traveling to Kansas and even stopping at a light. I feel so uncomfortable being out in that area. They are in their own homemade world and no one else matters. And being black, well, they just feel, you have to have the money to live in their world, or else "get out!" They are stinky mean.



Others may not agree with me, but I know firsthand, so enough said! You were not wrong in asking. You are new to the area and of course being new you would not know, right? So questions are asked. Sorry you were so mistreated.



But not all Overland Park people are like that, just 90%.



Move to Missouri, the people are nicer there.



Why was it wrong to ask where the Black Businesses are in Overland Park, Ks?

Maybe the lady didn't understand that prejudice wasn't the motivator here.



Now...my experience...and hope not to offend anyone:



Went into a beauty shop and realised it had an exclusive African American clientele. So, a moment of truth.... should I stay or should I go. I didn't feel right walking out, but I did feel strange.



I decided to stay and check it out.



I got an great haircut...and will go back there again. (I just gotta deal with getting some strange looks from people). Oh, and the lady was telling her friend how to cut white people's hair, and how it's different than black people's hair. I got an education by listening.



Can't promise you that a white lady can do a good fade for you, but I promise that it is a possibility.



..

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My name is Karla King, I specialize in healthy hair & all types of hair, the majority of my clientile is black. I do not overbook!!! www.carlassalon.net. 816-714-6152

    ReplyDelete

 
secured loan