Thursday, November 26, 2009

Are there various degrees of language and/or speech therapy?

Hi,



My daughter is 4.5 and she just had an evaluation for speech delay. The evalution says "articulation". I know she has issues with things like saying "someping" instead of "something" - "fank you" instead of "thank you". She also leaves words out when she speaks, "I have to go downstairs and get my doll and comb hair" leaving out the word HER in "comb her hair". She also doesn't conjugate her words correctly sometimes and often leaves the S off on plural words.



My question is for anyone who would know, is this only speech delayed or is this also language delayed and is there a degree of both that would me determine if she has the possibility in overcoming these issues and having a normal educational future?



I've been reading online about language and speech issues and



I'm starting to get the impression that kids with these issues at her age end up having other issues that pop out later. She knows all her sounds and is starting to read so I feel other things are good.



Are there various degrees of language and/or speech therapy?

From what you describe, your daughter seems fine. Her articulation problems don't seem at all severe for her age. Many children at this age have similar speech issues but, afterall they are still learning. The fact that she knows all her sounds and is starting to read at age 4, shows she is probably not only Ok, but bright.



I don't think you need to be concerned at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
secured loan